A Note on My Harding Research

The information I posted during 2020 mostly covered Warren Harding's front-porch campaign from his home on Mt. Vernon Avenue in Marion, Ohio. The campaign officially started on July 31, 1920, and ended on September 25. The plan was to post daily on events that occurred exactly 100 years ago that day, but I shared other information as well. You'll have to read bottom-to-top if you want to follow the campaign from Day 1.

I used the open web for some of my research but also information accessible by using my library card or my subscription to www.newspapers.com. The most useful resource was the Marion Star, which was owned by the Hardings at the time of the campaign. I also browsed online copies of other newspapers like the New York Times, the Washington Star, and the Dayton Daily News, which, in 1920, was owned by Harding's Democratic opponent, Governor James M. Cox. I also posted information from other newspapers that covered Harding's trips away from Marion during the campaign.

Another great resource I used was Dale E. Cottrill's The Conciliator, a 1969 biography of the president that expanded an earlier bibliography of Harding's speeches. An online version is available at the Internet Archive, but I used a hard copy borrowed from the State Library of Ohio.

Readers should not construe anything posted here as a political statement on my part. I just like Harding as a historical topic.

9/18/2020

Saturday, September 18, 1920

Harding's first speech of the day is described by the New York Times: "Meddling abroad threatens not only entangling alliances, but a country divided into national groups, according to Senator Harding, speaking from his front porch today to delegations of foreign-born citizens representing thirty nationalities, who came to Marion from New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Chicago. Their visit was largely due to the work of Senator McCormick, who introduced them to Senator Harding, and the Foreign Language Division of the Republican National Headquarters":

My Countrymen: You are, in large part, men and women of foreign birth, but I do not address you as men and women of foreign birth; I address you as Americans, and through you I would like to reach all the American people. I have no message for you which is not addressed to all the American people, and, indeed, I would consider it a breach of courtesy to you and a breach of my duty as candidate for high office to address myself to any group or special interest or to any class or race or creed. We are all Americans, and all true Americans will say, as I say, "America First!" 

Let us all pray that America shall never become divided into classes and shall never feel the menace of hyphenated citizenship! Our uppermost thought today comes of the awakening which the World War gave us. We had developed the great American Republic; we had become rich and powerful, but we had neglected the American soul. When the war clouds darkened Europe and the storm threatened our own country, we found America torn with conflicting sympathies and prejudices. They were not unnatural; indeed they were, in many cases, very excusable, because we had not promoted the American spirit; we had not insisted upon full and unalterable consecration to our own country — our country by birth or adoption. We talked of the American melting pot over the fires of freedom, but we did not apply that fierce flame of patriotic devotion needed to fuse all into the pure metal of Americanism...

In the afternoon, Harding heads to Garfield Park to attend a gathering of the Knights of Pythias:
Brother Beatty, Brother Knights and Ladies: I did not know when I journeyed to join you a little while in your picnic that I was going to be called upon to make a speech, but I am getting so much in the habit of speech-making that one more does not matter. 

It is more a matter of deep gratification to come and greet you. I do not know but what it is rather significant, anyway. I recall that some six years ago when I aspired to a place in the United States Senate, the Knights of Pythias of Marion gave me a brotherly reception that was attended by the distinguished brother who has just presented me this afternoon, and there was an augury in it that turned out very fortunately afterward. Whether you are of my party or not, I am willing to believe that the attendance here and the presentation by Mr. Beatty means something of success just a little bit later on...

This advertisement is in today's Marion Star: 

Sources:

  • "America Ought To Be on Guard." Marion Star. 18 September 1920.
  • "Belief in Fraternity of Nations Expressed." Marion Star. 20 September 1920.
  • "Harding Decries 'Meddling Abroad.'" New York Times 19 September 1920.

No comments:

Post a Comment